Monday, October 03, 2005

Wrapped around his baby finger

Kemper has picked a fine time to start saying mum-mum-mum-mum-mum.

As I lay him down for his morning nap and walk away, ofcourse the tears start. It's kind of a *I'm-not-even-tired-why-are-you-doing-this-please-just-hold-me-and-love-me* cry, but you know how we're trying to break the poor lad of needing us to fall asleep. So I walk back down to check on the teary eyed boy, and to re-insert the Nuk in his mouth, when he looks straight up at me and in a teary voice he says, "mum-mum-mum-mum-mum". Almost like, "see, I know who you are, and I want you to PICK ME UP!" Let me tell you, it takes everything (and I *do* mean everything) not to pick him up and cuddle my wee soldier.

We have been able to have some mommy-baby bonding time through the nights recently. On Saturday night I was awoken by some serious crying. This is quite unusual for Kemper, who usually just wimpers a bit and maybe talks a little. When I went into the nursery he was on all fours crying and rocking back and forth. Something had to be upsetting him... and Sunday, we discovered what that was!

Kemper got his first TOOTH!

Jen and I decided to do something to celebrate the beautiful fall day, so with Kemper in tote we took off to the Collingwood area to get some apples. We had an interesting time with no map or real idea of where we were going, but we found some fresh local apples. Originally we had planned on looking for a U-Pick orchard but ended up being just as satisfied with some already picked ones. We asked the girl at the apple stand if she knew of any good places to eat, and she recommended Piper's in Thorbury. The food was fantastic. Kemper had some yummy beans and rice cereal (no, they don't serve baby food, mama brought it with us). He played in the highchair while we ate. And I'm not really sure how I ended up with my finger in his mouth, but.... that-kinda-feels-like-a-tooth! Holy smokes! So that's what all the fussin' was about! Poor lil dude!

I have come to the conclusion that I am in for itwhen Kemper gets older. Perhaps even just a little bit older. He has been such an incredible baby. I mean, who really deserves a baby *this good*? If Kemper cries, there is something wrong. He's not a "well, I just feel like crying" baby. And I have gotten *countless* comments on what a happy baby he is. And he is. This morning when I went to answer his calls from his crib, he just looked up and smiled in the darkness. What a perfect angel. The most beautiful smile I've ever seen.

I never imagined I would love being a mom this much.

5 comments:

Mandi said...

HI there, I found your blog from the biggest loser site...it caught my eye because we have the same name. Spelling and all. Just wanted to say hi!

Veronika said...

Isn't it great to have such a great baby? I thank God every day for my "blessings".

NegZero said...

He he.. teeth.. Have fun with that... Take it easy and enjoy every minute.. They grow up way too fast...

Anonymous said...

Mandi!
Wow - what a nice break in the day to check out your site.
I would love to get together with you some time to catch up. Let's try to work something out there.
BTW - Word 'em up on the tooth Kemper!!!

xoxo

Peggy said...

That's how my guy was. Perfect pregnancy (and I mean perfect - nary a complaint other than the awkward belly), perfect baby,... He's starting to assert his opinion a little more now but he's still not too bad.

Your little K is adorable! Enjoy!!