Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Last Week.... in a Nutshell

It's been so much easier, for obvious reasons, to leave Kemper with his dad lately. Since he's been weaned I've been out on my own a couple of times. Last Thursday I went to work at my mom's store, "Bake and Bits". I left pretty much as soon as Kevin got home from work. I got a couple of calls that night. One was, "Yeah, so how do you open this diaper genie thing?" The "Diaper Genie" is relatively new to our house, so that was understandable. The next one was Kevin saying, "what's wrong? I got a message from your mom saying, "'Pick up the phone, Kevin,'" and he said she sounded upset. Here's the thing, my mom often sounds upset on the phone.... she swears she's not, but sometimes she worries me! I got home around 9:30 to see the wee man in the kitchen sink... and he gave me a big huge smile. So nice to be welcomed home with a sweet smile. I was worried about him being asleep, but apparently he had a nap so he was a little behind schedule.

Friday was a nice evening in.

Saturday I got crazy stuff done around the house. Cleaned all the nooks and crannies. Tucked in speaker wire here and there. After all, it won't be long and he'll be crawling. He's already motoring around the livingroom backwards. He's got the hardwood floor figured out!

Saturday my cousin Sarah was getting married. I missed the ceremony, but really wanted to get to the reception. I knew Kevin had a long day, so my mom and I had intended on going. My mom ended up having a really busy day at work, too. So, I decided that I would go on my own. I'd never gone to a wedding by myself. I am so glad that I went. I ran into two of my most cherished friends Karla and Mark. I haven't seen them since their wedding back in September '03. We've had brief contact, mostly through the Blogging World, but this is the first time I've got to give them great big hugs since a tradgedy struck their hopes and dreams. Their beautiful daughter, Ava Marie, was born with wings on April 14th, 2005, and after seven short hours with her loving parents and family she flew on up to Heaven.

Ava's mommy and daddy are two of the strongest people I know. Despite what they've been dealt, they are dealing. The best way they know how. Together. They are not sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. They are out there making sure Ava's memory is and forever will be, very much alive. They are making their baby girl proud.

Kemper's mama kissed his head when she got home.

No comments: