Tuesday, October 21, 2008

These last few weeks have been a little frustrating.

For one, we are waiting for our new home to be completed so we can move in. Luckily, they have only pushed our closing date out one week, and they gave us about a months notice. For two, Kemper is in full blown toddler mode. Who ever called it "Terrible Twos" was sooooo wrong. "Terrible Threes" it is. So there. I think that everything is wearing thin on Kemp. We've been living with my parents for almost 3 months now, which has forced them to discipline Kemper way more than I'm sure they want, but have respected my "don't let him get away with any b.s." wishes. I've also been off work since early September, and despite taking him to the park, baking with him, and taking him skating; being with mom full time is getting old. He misses his friends at daycare. I still have 7 weeks left before the new little one comes, but I am already tired. Toting around the extra poundage and keeping up with Kemper has taken a toll. Because I'm already this tired, I'm starting to freak-out about what is going to happen when the kicking monster inside comes out? Am I going to have a child that is even more obsessed with Treehouse and Playhouse Disney? I hate how much he watches TV now.... what's going to happen when I'm exhausted with a newborn, and a three year old that no longer needs naps?

I remember the early days with Kemper. They were tiring, but also blissful. I remember just being with him. Just hanging out. If I needed to sleep, I did when he did. How will this work now, when I've got someone who is also going to need some of my attention?

I know, I know.... people all over the world have done it. Which is part of what keeps me sane, but I just don't want Kemper to feel left out. I'm married to an "older brother" so I know that being an older sibling doesn't have long term effect on a person, but seeing as I'm an only child, I naturally worry about ridiculous things.... especially when they concern my first born.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ha. I said the same thing about Jack. The first three months of 3's alone was worse than the whole year of twos. That however passed quickly.

The first few months after having Oliver sucked ass. I used to ask why people didn't tell me having two kids sucked so much. It got better though. It even became manageable. It's hard. It really is.

As for Kemper feeling left out - I just tried to give Jack as much 1:1 attention as I could and he managed. Watching Jack and Oliver form a bond has totally been worth those shitty few months. Those boys love each others guts out and it's so damn cute.
You will all be fine. I'm sure of it.

Anonymous said...

Awe Mandi...I had the exact same concerns before Julia was born. And the first few months are a bit tricky, but your little family will eventually find it's rhythm.

Dawn said...

Hey there. Wow, it must be so overwhelming to be an expectant mom. Just reading about how busy your days are and how full your hands are makes me tired! But of course, you're going to do great, because you're an awesome mom. (And you can brag, because your first little guy is gorgeous, and the second one will be too.) Looking forward to updates!

(Also, I always wondered how parents cope with watching endless hours of those crazy kiddie shows. That must drive you nuts ;)