Thursday, August 18, 2005

Am I Crazy?

Until last night, I'd never mentioned one of my new found fears to anyone. Since becoming a mom I've developed the "over-protective-mom-gene" that I swore I'd never have. I think it's something that takes over when you are pregnant.

Before I was expecting, I used to be pretty fearless, other than ofcourse my aracnaphobia. I'd stay home alone on weekends when Kevin would be gone and feel fine. Afterall, Corson (our dog) was with me, and frankly, I never really thought that anything could go wrong. Suddenly, with finding out I was pregnant came this protect mode. I started being afraid of being alone at night in our house, even with Corson with me. When Kevin would go out of town for the weekend I would sleep with a bat beside the bed! Who was this crazy lady who had taken over my body? I used to LOVE a great scary movie (although Texas Chainsaw Massacre made my chest hurt!), but when I was with child I couldn't stand them! I've been a little better with watching them since I've had Kemper, but I still close my eyes sometimes watching CSI!

This was not my new paranoia....

Ever since I had Kemper, I've been afraid of someone taking him. I heard the Elisabeth Smart story and it made me sick. What would stop someone from coming in our house and taking our boy? We live in a bungalow, and I normally didn't have a problem with the windows being open, our pooch is pretty alert and lets us know if something is going on around us. But, what if? What if Corson slept though it? What if there was little or no noise in the room next to ours? Jeepers.... So to help myself sleep better at night, Kemper's window is closed and locked! (and double checked!)

As crazy as I feel, I guess it's "mother's instinct", or maybe it's my mom's over-protectiveness being passed on to me! Thanks MA!

1 comment:

NegZero said...

You're loony as sin... I do the same thing pretty much every day.. :) Normal I think...